April 28, 2014

Review: The Handle Bar in Boston, MA

The Handle Bar is an indoor cycling studio with two locations in Boston, MA. I headed to the newly opened Fenway location, located at 1330 Boylston Street for a 10am class yesterday morning.

Jess Bashelor, Founder of The Handle Bar was the keynote speaker at the Her Campus National Pre-Collegiette Conference on Saturday where I was a panelist, hence the partnership and reason I was able to attend this class.

They hooked me up with special biking shoes ($2 per rental) and I headed in to set my self up on a bike. My instructor Sarah was great and knew it was my first time so she helped me adjust my bike to the right settings for me. The studio is kept pretty dark which is great because it really gets you in the mood with the music to go your hardest.

During the workout, the instructor matches the moves to the music, with a playlist including Beyonce, Iggy Azalea, Britney Spears, and more! As the workout comes to a close the red overhead lighting is switched to a more calm shade of blue as the music slows down. You definitely get an intense workout, but I surprisingly was not sore afterwards because I made sure to stretch ahead of time and our instructor had us stretch after the bikes.

Typically at the larger South Boston location which is two years old, five classes are offered daily, and at the thee week old Fenway location, currently four classes are available daily, but they fill up quickly. Each class is $20 and shoe rental is $2 per ride. Package deals are available if you're really hooked!

They also run an awesome blog which I would recommend checking out. It includes playlists that you might spin to in class, healthy snack ideas, fitness tips, and more.

I would definitely recommend going to The Handle Bar if you're in the Boston area and looking for a fun workout. Make a reservation for your bike up to 7 days in advance online, in person, or over the phone.


Her Campus partnered with The Handle Bar to provide panelists and attendees of the Her Campus National Pre-Collegiette Conference (which I spoke at this weekend) with a free class, but that in no way alters my opinion.


photo credits: northeastern.edu

The Handle Bar

1 comment:

Mary @ Eat Drink and Be Mary said...

One-I love the name of the place, very clever. 2--I think music always sets the mood for a workout sesh and I'm glad they had a good one. It's so hard to get pumped up when there are slow songs coming on the radio. Three--that's so cool that they have mood lighting. I've never heard of that before and I bet that would be the cherry on top of this experience. Glad you liked it!