April 14, 2016

One Month Vegetarian & Dairy-Free

Last week marked one month of being a vegetarian for me, and this month marked my fourth as being dairy-free. Yes, this is borderline vegan, but I'm not quite ready to take that big of a leap.

One of my favorite breakfasts: Ezekiel bread with scrambled egg whites, avocado, and pepitas

I made this decision to be a vegetarian almost on a whim when I realized I just wasn't enjoying eating meat anymore, and when I did, I felt heavy and unhappy. I wanted to see how long I could make it, and I'm pretty proud of myself for the lifestyle changes I've been making in 2016 so far.

Being dairy-free has actually been harder than being a vegetarian, and not just because my dad owns a cheese shop back home, but because dairy is much more commonly found in dishes than meat is. My decision to go dairy-free stemmed from throat and tonsil issues I began experiencing in November 2015, and realized that if I cut it out, I would feel better, and I was right.

One of my favorite dinners: Grilled portobello mushrooms with peppers and onions, Zucchini noodles with pesto

Aside from my diet changes, I've been making efforts to workout a minimum of four times per week, mixing up yoga, spinning, other cardio classes, as well as lifting. I have seen the combined results of my efforts in the tone of my arms, legs, and stomachs, and can honestly say I have never felt or looked better, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

I've also been toying around this month with (gasp) easing up on my coffee addiction. While I definitely don't think I can give it up completely, testing the waters and seeing how long I can go without it and running strictly on pure energy, hasn't been that bad so far!

Something I hear all the time from my favorite spinning teacher is that change does not come without a challenge, and she's totally right. Every time I feel like giving up when my body feels just too tired to keep going, I push through it, and I'm grateful that I do it every single time.

No comments: