October 23, 2009

Guru interviews: missyl044

Q;What is your name and username on youtube?
My real name is Melinda But everyone calls me Missy, My youtube user name is missyl044. I first started out just watching videos on youtube and the first person I ever subscribed to was makeupbytiffanyd then I found makeupgeektv. Well I was watching one of Tiffany's videos broke out my 88 palette and did the look that she showed but I did make it my own by adding pink to the look anyways thats when I decided to start my channel. My channel name is makeupbymissyl because thats the name of my company for freelancing. I was going to start a new channel when I realized that I couldn't change my user name but now I'm really glad that I didn't.

Q;How do you balance youtube life and personal life?
I am the first one up and the last one to go to bed so in my free time I make my videos, When my kids are at school is when I film. I edit them in the mornings or late at night. I don't find it hard to balance youtube with my personal life because my kids think it's cool that I'm on youtube and really help me out a lot. If they come home and I'm filming they stay really quite so I can finish. I don't really know how it all works out but it just does. It's like when you become a parent or fall in love..you wonder how you ever lived without that child/person..now I can't imagine my life without making videos or my subscribers. I have some of the best subscribers. I try really hard to answer their questions and comments or when they send me a message. I never want then to feel ignored or like I don't care. I am there to teach and have fun and if I'm not talking with my subscribers then I am failing. I remember when I started watching videos and I would leave a question or a comment and the person didn't respond to me then I didn't want to watch them anymore. To me when you say leave a comment/question or follow me then that means that you are willing to take the time out of your life to talk to people and if you don't then your letting your subscribers down. When I decided to start my channel I talked to my kids and husband and told them that this was going to take up a lot of my time and that I was making a commitment to be there for my subscribers just like I am there for my family. I have a great family who understands that my subscribers are friends/family to me too.

Q;Do you think your daughters will be as into makeup as you are?
I think my daughters will be really into makeup like I am. We are always playing makeup together. When I have a look I want to tryout they are always there to let me play. It's better than having face charts. I have started their makeup collections for them that they will get when they older, it's filled with Sigma brushes and LD products from mac. They were kind of upset that they don't get to use the dazzleglasses but I told them that if they open them then they won't get to keep them for very long. They have all ready started making plains for their youtube channels. 2 of the 3 girls want to be makeup artists when they get older. I love teaching them how to apply their makeup..it's something special between us.

Q;Does your family and friends support your job as a makeup artist?
My friends and family are really supportive of me. My parents are really my biggest fans..lol They have helped me get everything that I needed when I was first starting out. All of my friends and female family members have let me practice on them or have hired me to do their makeup for their weddings and proms. I have to say that I have the best friends and family anyone could have.

Q;What was the most exciting makeup item you ever purchased?
I would have to say that the thing that I bought that I am in love with is my mac 165 brush. It is really one of my staple brushes because you can use it for so many different things. It works for foundation, highlighting, contouring, blush, powder really it works for everything. It's pointed so one thing I love it for is cleaning up & shaping eye shadow. You just put some powder on it and run it around the shadow if you need to clean up unevenness.It's really a must have brush. Every time I use it I still get excited like it's brand new..lol.

Q;What are the top 5 makeup items you need in your kit at all times?
1. fix+ I use it to spray on the face before and after I apply makeup.When you spray it on before it really nourishes the skin, it also softens and helps with oils. I spray it after to help set everything and it really takes away the powdery look that powders can leave and helps give that airbrushed flawless look we all want.
2.Primer for face and eyes because you always want to have a good face & eye primer. I have many different primers because everyone has different skin types and you have to meet their skin needs. It doesn't mater what brand of foundation you use if you don't have a good primer then it will "melt" off your face. The same goes for eyeshadow. You can get good primers anywhere, they don't have to be expensive. Rimmel has a good face primer that I keep in my kit and it really holds it's own with the big name brands.
3. Different types and colors of foundations. The brands I always have in my kit are Revlon colorstay, Mac studio fix fluid and Mac studio sculpt. I will be adding more foundations to my kit from mac. I am testing the studio select from mac, that is a mineral foundation and is for light coverage and studio tech and that is a med to heavy coverage that is a cream to powder.
4.A eyelash curler that really is a must have in your kit.Oh and mascara wands!!! I always find myself checking and then re checking to make sure I have them packed in my kit because you really need them so your not double dipping in mascara when your working on clients. If you use the wand that comes with the mascara you can't use it on other clients and that leaves you having to buy new mascara.
5. Lot's of makeup brushes. If your working on more than 1 person in a day you really need to have enough brushes to do each person so your not reusing brushes. You can spot clean brushes in-between clients but I find that just takes too long (I do it with a few of my brushes but I really try not to) and if I'm using a 190 foundation brush I like to deep clean them after using it because when you spot clean them I find foundation still in the middle of the brush and I wont use it until I give it a good cleaning, so I have a set for each person I'm doing makeup on. I don't book more than 8 girls at a time right now but I'm going to be buying more brushes so I can. I think thats why I love Sigma so much because they sell brushes that are as good (if not better) than mac brushes and they are affordable I buy the complete set without the brush roll. I want to add 1 more thing here because it's about brushes I have to have a brush belt. Right now I am using cups to put my brushes in I have 2 that I set out 1 for the clean brushes and 1 for the used brushes but I will be getting my brush belt within 2 weeks.

Q;What are always in your purse (makeup or not)?
Things that are always in my purse are breath mints, my keys, lip conditioner in petting pink by mac, my wallet, chap stick, a sigma SS150(from the pink travel set) and mineralize skin finish natural in med. for touch ups, whatever lipstick and lip gloss I'm wearing that day, 2 pens, makeup wipes, eyeliner for if I need to touch it up during the day, deodorant, perfume (malaia from hollister), important contact numbers and my cell phone.

Q;Any plans for the future?
I have a lot of plans for the future, I am working on my makeup line and my biggest plan is to move to California and start doing makeup there. I would love to be a celebrity makeup artist or do makeup for tv and movies. But now it's working on my own line. I am so picky about what I put on my face and I know that so many other women & men are too so I am trying to come up with makeup that will work for everyone and sell it at a price that everyone can afford. I would also love to have another baby sometime in the near future. I am going to have seminars teaching all the tips and tricks of being a makeup artist and most important inner beauty. I feel to be beautiful on the outside you have to feel beautiful on the inside. I guess you can say I am going to be one busy person but thats just the way I like it.

Contact Missy:

WATCH!
BLOG!
TWEET!
MYSPACE!

No comments: