June 10, 2015

Post-High School Thoughts & Halfway Done with College

This evening, I watched my little sister graduate from high school. Every milestone in life she hits becomes more and more surreal for me even though I'm only two years older than her, I can't help but become emotional thinking about her "growing up." On Saturday, not only are we celebrating her graduation but also my parent's 23rd wedding anniversary and I couldn't be happier to be home to celebrate with my family coming into town as well.

It's crazy to think that just two years ago, I was preparing to graduate from high school. Don't get me wrong, I attended an amazing school, but I could not be happier to have that part of my life behind me. This is something I've really realized as of recently since I'm not living in Philadelphia with my family for the summer and really only see one person I went to high school with on a semi-regular basis because we go to college together and are both living in Boston for the summer.
When you graduate from high school and everyone tells you "the best is yet to come," and "these are the best years of your life," I now know completely what they mean. I'm living in a city I love, have a great job and internship, and am surrounded by like-minded individuals who actually want to see me succeed. By no means do I mean that my family doesn't want to see me succeed, because they're without a doubt the most supportive of all, but as an extremely independent person it was time to fully leave the nest and live permanently on my own this summer.

I have mixed feelings about the fact that I'm already halfway done with college. I have had wonderful opportunities in and out of the classroom, and have met people who I can tell will be my friends long after I graduate in two years.

No comments: