July 20, 2015

Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk

I participated in an Ambassador Activation on behalf of Influence Central for the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.


photo credit: John Deputy
We all have some connection in some way to cancer. According to cancer.org, in 2012, there were over 13 million Americans with cancer. Cancer is a dehabilitating force currently without a cure, but organizations such as the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute are taking steps towards a cancer-free world through fundraising efforts such as the Jimmy Fund Walk.

I've been living in Boston for two years, and I've been fortunate enough to experience and attend momentous occasions in the city such as the Red Sox World Series win, 2 Boston Marathons, and the New England Patriots Super Bowl win, so now it's time to give back to the city that I call home by walking in this years Jimmy Fund Walk.

Aside from giving back to my city, I want to dedicate this walk to two special people in my life that have been affected by cancer. When I was 12 years old, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer and thankfully, he completely beat cancer and is in good health eight years later. Around the same time, in February 2007, my mother suddenly lost one of her best friends, Gina, a woman whom was like a second sister to my mother, and an aunt to my sister and I to a combination of several cancers. I'm walking for both of them, and hope to do them proud.

photo credit: John Deputy
This isn't my first time working towards raising money for cancer, but it is my first walk of any kind. In high school, as president of Fashion Club, I was responsible for organizing the annual Rock the Runway, a charity fashion show that raises money for the organization of the presidents choice. I chose to donate all proceeds of our show towards the Oncology Unit at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Soon after the show, I proudly walked a $5000 check to the hospital and I can imagine myself in two short months walking just as proudly along the 26.2 mile route towards Copley Square.

Lace up with me on September 27 and choose from one of four different routes to walk: Hopkinton (26.2 miles), Wellesley (13.1 miles), Boston College (5 miles) or Dana-Farber (3 miles) or resister as a virtual walker!

Register here through my website and use the code BLOG to get $5 of your registration price.

Learn more about the Jimmy Fund Walk on their Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube and don't forget to register!

No comments: